In the posts that follow – there will be a few each day – we’ll be answering some questions about church; vision and direction; structure and change; callings and challenges – and of course people, because that’s what church is.
Foundation for The Answers to Q’s
1. Jesus calls the church His church.
18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
2. Jesus and His Word are one.
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
Colossians 1:14-17 backs this up as it speaks of the Son. . .
14. .. in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
It’s His church so He makes the rules.
His Word is the rule book, the standard, and the judge for all things concerning His church.
The Bible was written for us, everyday people, to be read and understood. Sure, there are depths to be discovered, wonderful types and shadows to be explored, but the Bible really is here for everybody in every situation.
Basic principles of interpretation act as a safeguard against our own thoughts and ideas getting in the way. These basics include:
The Word is the truth.
Truth is not subjective. Circumstances and personal experiences may be valid, but they don’t change the truth.
Scripture speaks for itself. We start with what it actually says.
Verses are to be read in context. We can’t ‘slice and dice’ a passage to suit our ideas.
Scripture is the best tool to interpret and support scripture.
As we write over the next couple of days, these are the foundations:
Whatever we do always starts with Jesus.
Our lives must be in absolute accord with the Word in all areas.
Whatever we say must be undergirded by scripture.
Wherever we go we must be guided by the Holy Spirit.